Save Case Closed

One Truth Prevails

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the new forums we hope you enjoy your stay, and don't forget to register!
Want to know the cheapest price for CC DVDs? Well head over to http://www.savecaseclosedpodcast.wordpress.com/ for info on CC DVDs
Streaming Now! Case Closed on their website, all you have to do is sign up and pay the monthly fee http://www.funimation.com/
Want info on the CC fanDUB? Head over to the SCC Podcast Website or the SCC FB page!
Case Closed S.A.V.E. Editions now available
Case Closed is now digital!!! Buy single episodes or entire seasons on iTunes!
Remember to catch Case Closed every Friday @ http://allkidsoutofthepool.com/ Check their schedule page for time listings
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Like/Tweet/+1
Latest topics
» Which Case Closed Movie between 7-10 Would you like to see dubbed
Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 29, 2016 9:45 am by SaveCaseClosed

» List of Manga-based episodes (Color coded)
Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2016 5:23 pm by snipe1986

» NEW SCC Podcast Website
Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2016 6:37 pm by renzo210

» Case Closed High Quality Raw Episodes (1-635)
Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 10:52 am by SaveCaseClosed

» Detective Conan - 20th Anniversary (Anime/Movie)
Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2016 12:46 pm by Heliotropic

» Detective Conan Raw Episodes
Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2016 1:06 am by SaveCaseClosed

» Spoiler Discussion
Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2016 4:03 pm by Heliotropic

» I Found a way to get it back case closed for more dub ep
Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2016 12:16 pm by GAMERZEROZ1

» Case Closed Episode 133-134(126-127 Japanese Count) Casting
Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 11:05 pm by SaveCaseClosed

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 88 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:02 pm
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password

Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SaveCaseClosed
SaveCaseClosed

Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Empty
PostSubject: Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?   Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 10:25 am

This is a topic that will be discussed further with a poll on the forums. Do you prefer the English names for the main characters in the fandub or the Japanese names?
Back to top Go down
Meitantei Kudo

PostSubject: Re: Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?   Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 11:26 am

English
Back to top Go down
Heliotropic
Heliotropic

PostSubject: Re: Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?   Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 4:21 pm

Japanese names.

I think it pays to be consistent. There are several reasons why I think it would be a good idea to use the Japanese names over the English, and not simply because I prefer it. In fact, I don't really mind the English names that much. Though I will say I'm a bit biased since I've been partial to the Japanese names and VAs for a very long time now...

1: Further attempts at localization are never good in my opinion. FUNimation should have kept the names the same in the first place, and many of us have gotten use to the English names over the years. That said, it's not really much of a reason to keep up things the same. I think doing that people are bound to question, Why? That was a relatively bad decision in the grand scheme of things, and there's really no reason to continue that same idea.

2: It will create inconsistencies as you progress. VIZ doesn't have an English name for many of the future characters or even the case characters. This will lead you to either making things up, or using the English names for a majority of the main cast, and Japanese names for many of the side/recurring characters. This is probably the biggest reason I can suggest sticking to the Japanese names as there would never be any problems in the future.
However, it's really not much of an issue before introducing many of the recurring characters, and to be frank, you really won't have to worry about that for quite some time, but it's still odd to have most of the cast with English names and the rest with Japanese.

3: To slightly re-iterate my first point, I think it's offputting in general, as while most of us are okay with it, and some even prefer it, the majority of Detective Conan/Case Closed fans do prefer the original names. I think to resonate with the most amount of people, using the English names, in the long run, is probably not the best idea.
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ShuichiAkai84/posts
snipe1986
snipe1986

PostSubject: Re: Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?   Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 12:33 am

As much as i like the English names for the main cast, I believe that the majority of the people who watch this show are used to the Japanese names at this point. Also with the names of any particular episode being in Japanese it would fit better than having just the main cast be in English with the rest in Japanese.
Back to top Go down
Meitantei Kudo

PostSubject: Re: Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?   Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 10:35 am

Viz Media's print of the manga seems to only use the recurring characters' English names, not bothering to Americanize any minor or one-shot characters. I like this approach, although Haibara's name is apparently Anita Hailey (which was also used in The Mirapolis Investigation) instead of Vi Graythorn. I honestly think Anita is a better name for her, but either name works fine.
Back to top Go down
Heliotropic
Heliotropic

PostSubject: Re: Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?   Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 1:48 am

Well that's infinitely better than Kazuha, since she had four different names Laughing

Viz doesn't change the names for most the characters introduced after FUNi's dub I think. Vi/Anita are both pretty cool, though I like Vi since her name partially comes from V.I. Warshawski

Last edited by Heliotropic on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TRAVISAKATJ
VIP
VIP
TRAVISAKATJ

PostSubject: Re: Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?   Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 4:54 pm

I love the English names, but it seems like people on the Japanese side are more incline to complain. Maybe we should just go with the Japanese names to avoid the arguing.
Back to top Go down
Heliotropic
Heliotropic

PostSubject: Re: Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?   Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2016 3:15 am

TRAVISAKATJ wrote:
I love the English names, but it seems like people on the Japanese side are more incline to complain.  Maybe we should just go with the Japanese names to avoid the arguing.

I'd say that's fair, and quite accurate. People who are exclusive to say the English dub are not going to complain about the English names when they've never watched the original release. You're always going to have people at both sides of the spectrum, so it's not like you can satisfy everyone, nor should you try.
I like both names (although I always find Jimmy Kudo "funny" in particular), but I think most fans of the Japanese voice cast can get really uppity about that sort of thing. I might have a different opinion if the dub wasn't initially what captivated my interest.

Whatever it comes down to, the names aren't really that big of a deal, but this is the SCC fan dub, so I think that the people dubbing it should really have a big say in the matter. If they are uncomfortable with the names, why change it if it's fine?

I don't think you really have to worry about trying to appeal to the biggest crowd. Save Case Closed already appeals to a certain demographic, particularly people who want to listen to the English dub, and as a side effect, that also (generally) includes the English names. I haven't been around long enough to say, but I don't think that you guys really pander to the people who are "that" involved with the Japanese VAs, and that makes Save Case Closed unique. Despite my second point (and the only point you should really consider swapping at all), I think it is also an equally good option to play to your strengths.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's enthusiasm and hard-work pay off. I think if people aren't going to watch the fan-dub because of some petty name changes, well, what are you really losing?
Back to top Go down
snipe1986
snipe1986

PostSubject: Re: Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?   Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?   Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Case Closed fandub English names or Japanese names?
Page 1 of 1